Thursday, January 26, 2012

MOVIE REVIEW: The Girl Next Door

The Girl Next Door

The Girl Next Door ~ 4/5


Here's what www.netflix.com says:

2007 R 97 minutes

Inspired by true events, this thriller set in 1958 follows the harrowing story of two adolescent girls (Blythe Auffarth and Madeline Taylor) who, upon losing their parents in an accident, are sent to live with their Aunt Ruth (Blanche Baker), a sadistic psychopath. Unbeknownst to the residents of the small New Jersey suburb, the girls endure unthinkable punishment at the hands of their aunt and three cousins.


My thoughts:


First off, I can only imagine the horror of the true crime that this was based on. Now, for the movie, as I read what the book was about, I am thinking the book is way better & completely different. I am planning to pick it up & read it as well.


The movie was a great depiction of how terrible some people become when something in their life isn't as planned. Ruth creeped me out from the beginning & when she told her boys to finish their beers, I knew she as nuts!! I didn't understand why the neighboor didn't go straight home after the first incident he witnessed & told his parents. Why he would want to spend the night when the place was so creepy is beyond me!!


No comments: